Sailor’s Valentine – Part 6

This where I ended my work the other day. I’ve tried different placement and patterns with the shells I had selected. The more I finish, the more I can make alterations in my plan. The over all design has stayed the same, I just think the differences I’m making will improve the look. In addition, errors or misjudgments have become very clear.

For example, see the teal colored shells on the four corners? I had planned on the diamond shape being larger, however I fell asleep on the job and made them smaller by mistake. Today, I carefully added another row of dyed teal cup shells around the sliced Strombus.

In this picture, I have two completed sections with the extra shells. You can see the improved look. I wanted the Strombus to stand out. I have spent the last two days arranging my shells on the eight remaining sections. I have not liked anything I tried. Except for the zebra nerites. I like the drama of the black and white stripes. I divided the shells into two piles – shells predominantly white and shells that are blacker.

I will scatter a thin layer of shell dust beneath the nerites. I don’t want the same issue as with the white littorina. I’ve also used a pencil to mark a ‘V’ in the black and white shells. I think it will add a touch of drama by mixing in solid white shells.

I have a lot of coquina shells. For flowers, the shell is easy to use and great for beginners. After cleaning these, I lightly coated them with baby oil to enhance the pink and lavender colors. When I set the tellin flowers next to them, I was impressed by the look. Before, the tellins looked washed out. By using the coquinas and zebra nerites the tellins flowers will really pop. I hope!

I will also be expanding/improving the sunburst. Around the edges I laid a few Philippine rice shells. They are the same shade as the Hawaiian rice shell, just daintier and very pointy. I think it will add just the right touch. I haven’t decided what, if anything, I’ll be doing around the spirula/umbonium circle. Too much white on white and the shells get lost, I think. But I want everything done first. I’d hate to do over-kill at this point.

Advertisements

About leggygillin

I make Sailor's Valentines, Seashell flower arrangements and other shell art. Blogging about them helps me improve the quality of my work. By looking at my progress through images, I'm able to view the pieces differently. I think also it helps others who may be wanting to learn. Not that I am a teacher, by any means. I'm still learning, growing, and developing my art with each post.
This entry was posted in Gallery, Sailor's Valentine and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s