Sailor’s Valentine – Part 7

I am finally ready to complete the outer part of my valentine. In four alternating sections I marked a ‘V’ with a pencil. After smearing Tacky glue over the area, I pressed ground shells into the glue. When all four sections were glued, I took it outside and shook the excess off. It didn’t matter to me if the wood was covered perfectly. I just didn’t want the wood to show through the zebra nerites.

While the ground shells were drying, I measured out the coquina needed for the other four sections. I like the fan-like appearance the shells give. The rounded tips looked unfinished next to the tiny sand dollars.  I chose to place two more sand dollars over the tips to give the coquina a finished look. I may continue the row all the way over, but I’ll decide that later.

The zebra nerites were easier to place than the white littorina. I did slip some very tiny shells into the gaps. I’ll find out how well I measured for my ‘V’s’ when I start the next section. If you look closely at this picture, you can see some glue streaks. I goofed and tried to glue the coquina in the wrong place. Halfway across I realized my error. Good thing 527 is a forgiving, slow drying glue! That could have been a disaster.

I said before that I made the shell choices because I wanted drama. I believe I achieved it. I won’t glue these flowers until I am completely done with shell placement. All of the shells used to make the tellin flowers are fragile. I am such a klutz I’m afraid I’ll break them. I could make more, I know, but why risk the aggravation?

I truly like the delicate pink and white next to the deeper tones. I know isn’t the most intricate Sailor’s Valentine, but for a beginner, I don’t think I’m doing a bad job. I’m rather proud of myself. Not only am I struggling to learn and develop an art talent, I’m writing a blog about it. I admit my goofs, fears, and doubts. Since this is nearing completion, I think I need to order a box for my next one. I already have the design started.

Advertisements

About leggygillin

I make Sailor's Valentines, Seashell flower arrangements and other shell art. Blogging about them helps me improve the quality of my work. By looking at my progress through images, I'm able to view the pieces differently. I think also it helps others who may be wanting to learn. Not that I am a teacher, by any means. I'm still learning, growing, and developing my art with each post.
This entry was posted in Gallery, Sailor's Valentine and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s