Sailor’s Valentine – Part 8, Finally Completed!

(Clicking on the image enlarges the picture)

I was so glad to be finished with the outside pattern. The zebra nerites are so small. They constantly rolled in the wrong direction and the glue made them very slippery. I tried to keep the sizes the same. The darker nerites were smaller and I don’t think the pattern is quite as smooth as I would like. Then I just look at the finished product and all the goofs fade to the background. I am simply amazed at how well it came out.

I planned to put a border of shells around the perimeter. But first I had to be sure the shells were as even as possible. Then I chose purple cay cays. The hinge side was pointing up and was the same deep purple as in the coquina. The purple color then faded into pale lavender although that part wouldn’t be visible with the cover on.  I carefully stood them on the edge all the way around. After measuring and trying one section, that is. I had no reason to believe the remaining seven sections wouldn’t fit. No, there is no picture. I think the box is slightly beveled inward because the top would not slide over all the cay cays. Such frustration! I very carefully went around and detached each shell. It looked so pretty and had the exact finish I had envisioned.Oh well. Stuff happens.

While I tossed ideas around, I glued Philippine rice shells around the center. I wanted to improve the appearance of my sun burst. The tiny pointed shells created a better transition to the spirula circle.

Then I went on to plan B. There can always be alternative! You just have to use your imagination. Section by section, I smeared a thin line of tacky glue. The shells I had crushed earlier had some larger particles. I pressed these into the border, using slightly larger chunks in pattern gaps. It wasn’t what I truthfully wanted, but I rather like the outcome.

The glittery bits do make a nice, bright yet neutral frame. Then came the moment of truth. I put the cover on and was just so impressed. Yes, I am guilty of patting myself on the back. Again, I closed my eyes to the individual errors. The pattern stands out as does the flowers and is almost exactly as I planned.

I look at it and say ‘wow’. I did it!!

(Again, clicking on the image will provide a better image.)

So now on my dining room table is the plans for my next valentine. I’m ordering the box in a few days. By then I should have finalized my idea. I plan on continuing this blog and showing you my work. It has helped me tremendously sharing like this. Thank you for reading this.

Advertisements

About leggygillin

I make Sailor's Valentines, Seashell flower arrangements and other shell art. Blogging about them helps me improve the quality of my work. By looking at my progress through images, I'm able to view the pieces differently. I think also it helps others who may be wanting to learn. Not that I am a teacher, by any means. I'm still learning, growing, and developing my art with each post.
This entry was posted in Gallery, Sailor's Valentine and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Sailor’s Valentine – Part 8, Finally Completed!

  1. Marilyn says:

    Making a Sailors Valentine is truly an adventure. From its initial conception to the final product it is and was ment to be a labor of love. You have created a uniquely beautiful work of art and you deserve to be proud of your accomplishment.

  2. Debbie says:

    Your art is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I’m enjoying learning as I watch your project take shape!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s