My box has arrived and it is absolutely beautiful. The wood is silky smooth to the touch, no rough edges. I am very impressed with the workmanship. This will be the person I order all future Sailor’s Valentine boxes from.
This is a front loader. As I explained before, with a front loader, you work inside the frame. After gently removing the frame pieces, you carefully number them. The artisan who made this box marked each piece and put the corresponding number on the frame. Each frame piece is cut to fit and must be put back in its’ proper spot. I was very grateful with his thoughtfulness.
However, I discovered a flaw. No, not with the box. It’s perfect. As I said two posts ago, my measurements were way off. Well, way, way off is more like it. I spent several hours trying to cut my pattern to accommodate the box size. I could probably still do the star, but the flower totally overwhelms the box.
Even sitting on the edge you can see it is huge in comparison to the center of the box. I have drawn a circle marking the center but when I set the flower down it easily takes up half the box. Reducing and completing the star would be no problem but I do have a bit of a OCD problem. I designed the colors and pattern together and I just can’t make myself split them up. The solution? Simple. Do my next valentine now.
My mind was idle after finalizing my design. With nothing but time on my hands, I had an idea. The next thing I knew, I was picking out shells. My dining room table was definitely becoming over run! I had shells on the chairs, the floor, everywhere. My sorting trays were overflowing with shells waiting to tried on the new design. My husband looked at me like I was crazy.
So he moved me into a corner of a room that is receiving a make-over. Of course when he reaches this side of the room, I’ll have to shift over. But I’m not complaining. I have elbow room, both designs are on the table. I have a chair that is softer on the butt and we can eat at the table again! All of my shells are neatly arranged around my space. I love it. I want my very own shell room now.
These the shell finalists for the new valentine. This design uses circles as a basic shape. The browns and yellows should give it a soothing appearance. I have tiny starfish and a larger pencil star for the center. Using fig shells, I have the yin and yang type symbol laying north, south, east, and west.
Two half circles will be formed using heliacus snails. The other two halves will be use bee hive shells. For a pop of color, turquoise limpets flanking red and brown nerites will accent the sides.
I made the insane decision to do the entire background in tiny littorina. The center is in yellow fading into striped shells. After several rows of the darker green, I’ll fade back into the stripe, ending with the yellow around the edges. I think the idea is a good one however it takes forever gluing this little things. The shells are roly-poly and want to lay every which way but my way!