I haven’t figured out what I should name this valentine. Nothing strikes my fancy yet. At the end of the last post, I made a comment about the insane idea of covering the bottom with littorina shells. I stand by the term insane. I didn’t want to have perfect circles of yellow, stripes, green, etc. The plan was to fade from color to color, sort of flowing . Not.
It rather looks like a drunk sunflower. The transition didn’t work out as smoothly as I could have wished. On the upside, a lot of the shells will be covered with the top layer of the pattern. I stressed really bad last night when I took a long, hard look. I felt like I had ruined the box already. Part of the problem I think is that the striped shells flow nicely with the green, but the yellow is too bright of a contrast. When the shells are laying in a pile the differences just aren’t so strong as they are here.
As I was taking a break, I looked at the shells that go on next. It was like a ton of bricks hit me. If you look at the design picture in the prior post, you’ll see the colors stand out. They’re vibrant and strong. Look at the same shells when they are placed on the littorina. They fade into nothing. You don’t see the shocking black and yellow stripes. Actually, you can’t even see the shells, they blend so well. Talk about completely missing a step during planning!
The pencil star and tiny starfish at least stand out, as do the figs. I like the yin and yang look of the figs, however, I think they are too large. If I can find two smaller ones I could make the pattern. Placing one pair may be alright. It’s one of those points I’ll think about over the next few days.
I’ve considered several options to lighten up the color problem. There are other shells I could use but it wouldn’t be the same. My current idea is to strategically place tiny yellow and turquoise flowers. Just laying the shells outs brightened the valentine. I still plan on using the tiny starfish, just placing on the pattern different from the original design.