I was really quite proud of my flower pine tree when I completed it. It had a place of honor on the mantel in my living room. The tree could be easily viewed yet not so close people would be tempted to touch it. The branches are very fragile and brittle. Confidently, I started work on the vine project. Our area is just recovering from triple digit heat temperatures. Fall has brought strong cooling breezes. I had opened the window to take advantage of the breeze. I wasn’t expecting a huge gust to blow through! When the crash first happened, I couldn’t figure out where the sound had come from. Then I noticed that something was missing from the mantel. It was the tree on the floor, broken into several pieces. (Clicking on the images enlarges them.)
Overall, the damage was rather minimal. Some branches were broke off but, for the most part, the shell flowers were intact and the shell leaves were undamaged. Using generous portions of glue, I placed the branches along the base. I thought that made more sense. The glue would show right where the repairs were made. Like the first time, I didn’t glue the rocks. This way, if I change my mind and want to try something else with the tree, I can make the transition smoothly. Needless to say, I did not put it back on the mantel!
As I said in my last post, I was going to use my vine in a black jasper vase. I glued three dyed green cup shells to form the flower base. Matching flower size to leaf size, I left them dry over night. Then, putting a drop of glue on the flower back, I gently pressed the leaves on. The cup side faces the flower. I plan to the creases as a guide when I glue
them to the vine. When you make flowers like this, sometimes you have a little dried over glue. The glue dries clear so I couldn’t get a picture, but I’m sure you know what I mean. Using manicure scissors, I trim the glue even with the shells. It’s very easy to trim the excess off. Putting a drop of glue in the center of the leaves, I pressed the flowers randomly on the vines. Since it is plastic, you’ll have to hold it gently, but firmly until the glue becomes tacky and sticks.
I rather like the delicate look of the vines. The soft red tones of the shells looks natural against the greenery. I didn’t want to throw the balance off too much so I just used three curly twigs as a contrast. I’d be happy to hear any suggestions for improving this piece. I knew what I wanted to achieve with the vines but I was unsure how to treat the top.
I already have plans for my next art piece. It seems like my ideas are stacking up quicker than I have time to finish.
I was given a vine with silk roses for use in my projects. I had already found an interesting piece of pecan wood. Together, they are perfect. In my collection of rocks, I found three driftwood pieces and some other kind of rock. I have no clue what kind of rock it is, I just liked the way it looked. Driftwood is beautiful; I love it. When you think of how old it is and what forces of nature it took to petrify it…Well I find it amazing. The character is impressive.
I have a small 5 X 5 plank. Drilling a hole through it, I’m going to attach the stick to it with a large screw. This isn’t to actually hold, but to keep it stable until I glue the rocks around it. My goal is to make it look like the stick grew up through the rocks. I have some artificial green moss that I will be using around the base. But that is all I am going to say until the next post.
I wanted to show a couple of arrangements I’ve done. In the time I’ve done shell art, I’ve learned a lot, mostly about letting your imagination loose.
For this arrangement, I used sandstone to form the base. I chose pink tellins for the flowers. The shells just make beautiful, delicate flowers. After the larger, lotus type flowers were glued in place, I wove a small vine. It was covered with purple wing shell flowers.
When the arrangement was completed, I surprised and impressed. I didn’t know I had any kind of artistic talent. So I made another using different shells and design.
This was my favorite piece of driftwood. Using Gorilla glue, I used flatter rocks for balance and stability. On the side of the petrified wood was what appeared to be the path of a vine. So my vine followed that path. The rock is beautiful and looks like a miniature mountain. I tried to use my greenery to look like a forest.
Whenever I have to move it to dust, I forget the bird and knock it off. I think I’ve glued that bird four or five times now.
While living in Washington, I got to spend a lot of time on the coast. You can find the most amazing pieces of driftwood. I just loved this piece of wood and held onto it for over twenty years. When I started this design, I dug it out because I wanted to use it. Using Gorilla glue and a couple smaller rocks (sandstone and petrified wood) I made the base. I wanted the plant to ‘grow out’ of the rock. After the glue dried I attached a vine with rose cup roses. The leaves are almost fern-like. For contrast, I used some silk plants with round brownish-green leaves. Brown Hawaiian Rice shells are placed in the leaf joints.
With nearly any natural item, wood, rock, etc. Flower arrangements don’t have to stay in vases. Make a garden. Let your imagination go and create.