I have these odd-looking delphinula shells. The interior is beautifully iridescent, totally opposite from the exterior which is brownish and bumpy. Delphinula shells are so ugly they’re cute. They’ve grown on me and I’ve come to appreciate their unique beauty. So I had this crazy idea for a floral arrangement using them. I kept moving them around until the vision ‘blossomed’, so to speak. For wall hanging floral designs I have scallops, large pectins, and Irish Baking Scallops. No, I never cooked in mine, but I thought what a great way to showcase the delphinula.
The scallop is pure white and fairly sleek. A total contrast to the Delphinula. Together, in my mind, they make magic. A shell with more color would be too busy for the Delphinula. I want the trio of mini vases to stand out.
Since the actual vase area will be rather small, the flowers must be tiny and delicate. I’ve selected cup shells in a variety of colors. Tiny tea roses will compliment the vases. My choice will narrow down as I make the flowers. I’m leaning towards the yellows, white, and maybe blue for a pop of color.
The purple wings come in shades ranging from creams to deep purple. I only want cream shells for a vine. I dislike glue showing and the vine is the perfect cover up.
My rose leaves seem large when I look at them in the picture. Hopefully, that is just an illusion. I picked the smallest ones in my stock. There is also a seaweed type artificial greenery that I’ll be using. I’m still debating on the tiny white silk flowers. My wood potpourri is back on the planning block as well as a large dried leaf or seed pod. It looks almost like wood and seems perfect for this design.
The scallop didn’t sit level so my first obstacle was to find a solution. My leafy looking thing! When I slipped the edge of it under the scallop hinge, the shell sat perfectly level. Suddenly I knew in what direction I wanted this arrangement to go. I slipped one delphinula into the wood loop and balanced it in place. Holding the other two about where I thought they should, I became eager to start. Using hot glue, I attached the potpourri pieces and shells where I wanted them.
I want the hot glue to cure for a couple of hours before I start prepping the shells with oasis. Hot glue is supposed to dry fast but I like to let cure a little before handling the piece. I also want to spray polyurethane on the shells before I start. All those lovely shades will come to life. That was a step I was supposed to do before gluing, but goofs happen. They can still be sprayed. Humidity is a factor to consider when spraying a finish. I ignored the 98% humidity level and hours later, the shells are still sticky as hell.
But it’s okay. I still have flowers to construct. I won’t attach the vine until the end so that I won’t damage the delicate flowers. However, I decided to make them the first flowers I finished. They are the simplest to make and they become the goal I work toward. When it’s time to place the vine, I know I am finished.
The purple wings have lefts and rights as you can see in the picture. After sorting, I was ready to make the flowers. A simple five petal flower with a yellow littorina as a center seems to be the best idea. Some shells have a bit of color in them but I think that will help tie them to the color of the delphinula. The interior of the shells are shiny but I may spray polyurethane on them to intensify the color. The cup shells have a matte finish and I am undecided about putting a finish on them.